Saturday, September 16, 2006

Maybe if the world contained more people like these...

Well, I'm a Londoner.

Actually at this moment in time, I'm back being a Cardiffian. The house I will be living in in London isn't available until the 27th Sept, but my PGDip course started on Monday. So this week I've been staying in what must be the cheapest hotel in London. It certainly felt like it. It was quite dingy and small and certainly not the cleanest I've ever seen. However, I had a bed and a bathroom and the staff were very pleasant.

My first week has been interesting. I turned up on Monday, and I can honestly say, I've never felt so nervous in my entire life. I wandered into the college to have a nose around, and ended up having a cigarette outside. As if by magic, Joe Hughes crossed the road! He is also just starting. My word, it was the best feeling seeing a familiar face! Then, another friend, Steph, turned up. I didn't even know she was coming to RCM, but huzzah, she's here. In fact, there are around 6 ex-rwcmd students now at the RCM!

The first day was pretty dull, registering and what not. Got chatting to quite a few people, a lot of whom are rather pleasant but I sort of know who my friends are going to be already. The Freshers' week is pretty bad! I was quite looking forward to it, but the first night was abysmal. It was like a school disco. Not a school disco night, but like being at a school disco again. The band were shoddy to say the least. Luckily, and old friend Dan stopped by and we had a nice bit of banter. It was nothing compared to RWCMD Freshers' week. They have an SA (Student Association) rather than an SU and I wouldn't know any of them if they came up and spat in my face. I'm probably biased being part of the SU for a while, but I think it's rather important to have student representatives. We wore our lovely SU t-shirts, which meant people knew immediately who we were. There's nothing like that there.

On the second day, I had a massive downer and felt completely out of my depth. It ended up with me crying non-stop for about 2 hours worrying about whether I'd made the right choice. My conclusion, luckily, is that I have. I'm a small fish in a big pond, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Joe has been great, keeping me company and making sure I've been alright. It's not as if I even mentioned that I was finding it a little difficult, he just seemed to know and asked me. Which wa nice.

The last few days have been cool. I've been chatting to new people and feeling more comfortable. I really think that staying in a hotel was a bad move. Apart from the fact that it was a depressing place, there was no company. If i was in my house, at least I know the lads would be there when I got in. It's strange being in a new city and living out of a bag, I need to be settled!

But enough with the negativity! I think it's going to be a great year and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in. There's going to be a lot of hard work and probably a few tears along the way, but I've been through worse.

Bring it on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home